Fab Tech V Industries has been serving
Greencastle and surrounding communities since 1946.
Not only have we been providing much needed products
and services to the community for over a half a century,
we’ve enjoyed contributing to the community by
employing a highly skilled workforce of craftsmen that
have provided quality products throughout the region.
Here is how it all began.
Originally, Fab Tech V began business as Norman Diehl’s
Sons in 1946. It was all started by William E. and
Norman J. Diehl primarily as a welding repair business,
and also as a continuation of their father's salvage
Over the years the business served the community in
many ways. The 'Diehl Boys were known for their dealings
in commodities such as used steel, hides, automobiles,
rags, and batteries. Many old timers still visit the
shop and reminisce how they brought skunk hides to
Diehl's on their way to school. Over the years, the
business out grew its original buildings in the alley
off Ridge Avenue, and moved to its location on East
Baltimore Street in 1959.
During the 1960's, the demand for the salvage business
decreased, but their reputation for excellent craftsmanship
and their expertise in repairing all kinds of things,
from swing sets to manure buckets, enabled the business
to continually grow.
In 1983 the business was purchased by Paul and Vickie
McClain, with the idea of continuing the traditions
established by the Diehl Brothers. Although the business
had expanded to include subcontract work to other industries,
the general repair and fabrication of custom items
continued to make up a large portion of the work. The
subcontract portion of the business continued to expand
when Norman Diehl's Sons began doing corrugated pipe
fittings for a local company. The corrugated pipe diameter
ranged from 6” to 120”. Because of the
size and quantity of these fittings, it was not long
before a decision was made to build a separate building
to handle the pipe fittings.
The separate Pipe Plant located at 68 Commerce Avenue,
was built in April of 1987 and became building number
two in the Norman Diehl’s Sons Complex. In July
of 1988 the company was incorporated as Fab Tech V
Industries, with Norman Diehl’s Sons and Fab
Tech trading as divisions of the corporation. The growth
of the business continued, as did the need for more
In February of 1989, a third building was built, located
at 80 Commerce Avenue in Greencastle's Industrial Park.
This additional space allowed the anxious dream of
a Fab Tech Truck Body to come true. The first one rolled
off the assembly line m March of 1989, and was put
into service in the surrounding community, April of
1991 added another chapter to the Fab Tech chronicle.
The Diehl's facility was merged into the facility at
the more convenient location of 80 Commerce Avenue
in the Industrial Park south of Greencastle. Unfortunately,
in September of 1994 the 65th and last truck body rolled
off the line due to a crwded and competitive marketplace.
Today, many of these truck bodies are still in operation
along the eastern seaboard.
The next few years saw continued growth in the contract
manufacturing arena. In March of 2000, Fab Tech V Industries
was purchased by Michael and Donna Kulpak. The facilities,
customer base and internal organization have all remained
the same. Fab Tech V Industries, Inc. is proud to have
its roots 60 years deep into this community and is looking
forward to being a part of the expansion and growth to